OMIKRON

 HOME : LINKS  ABOUT : RSS 


game


INDIGO PROPHECY: Developer's Diary

Fahrengeiht Art

About Indigo Prophecy
THE CONCEPT
Some Thoughts About Games
Interactive Storytelling, or the Holy Grail
THE GAMEPLAY
Game Design
The Pen to Tell the Story: The Interface
Game Mechanics
Multiview
Action Sequences
THE STORY
The Scenario
Episodic Content
Characters
THE TECHNOLOGY
Production
Rendering
Cameras
IAM
MOCAP
Music
CONCLUSION


My name is David Cage and I am the writer and director of Indigo Prophecy, and the CEO and founder of Quantic Dream. Before this game, I wrote and directed Omikron: The Nomad Soul, a game that featured famous singer David Bowie. My background is in the music industry although I have been a gamer since I was 10 years old.

I am 36 years old and have worked in this industry for the past 12 years. I founded Quantic Dream eight years ago to create innovative games, and to try to be among the pioneers discovering this new media.

When real-time 3D appeared, I immediately saw the incredible to create new kinds of immersive experiences. Since then, Quantic Dream has been entirely focused on creating original concepts, "emotional rides" blending narrative, cinema, music and interactivity.

About Indigo Prophecy
In this diary, I am going to tell you more about how we created Indigo Prophecy. People often ask me which category best defines this game and to be honest I have some difficulties answering that. The closest I can think of is probably the adventure genre, although Indigo Prophecy has no puzzles to speak of, nor does it require any inventory management. If I were to say that it's an interactive movie, you may think that it is the kind of game where you watch most of the time and press a button every hour, which Indigo Prophecy is not. Other people like to refer to it as a kind of 3D "create your own adventure book".

I like to call this game an "Interactive Drama", which in my mind suggests the fact that the player acts and interacts in a narrative and emotional experience.

The concept of the game is quite simple: put the player in the shoes of the hero of a movie and let him decide what he wants to do. His actions will have consequences that will modify the story.

For me, this game is unique in many ways: it aims to show that it is possible to create a game that is entirely story-driven without loosing interactivity. It also tries to create an emotional experience based on characters, relationships and moral choices, a game with a more adult tone.

Indigo Prophecy sounds like a simple concept, but taking it from paper to the shelves has been an interesting interactive adventure by itself... This is the story will share in this diary. I tried to cover all aspects of the development from concept to technology. I hope you will enjoy this quick overview of the last two years of my life.

NEXT >>

Labels: , , ,

INDIGOThursday, September 22, 2005
<< HOME

Previous News

1996-2022 "Omikron Game". This is a private blog to keep articles online through years for my bad memory. Please respect authors rights and ask them for material. Some links may lead to 404, is not our fault.